joona kirjoitti:
mbch kirjoitti:^ Näin on. DR2 on enemmän mieleen, koska mitä vähemmän yksityiskohtia, sen parempi. Kyseessä olis ensimmäinen nahkarotsi ja siksi haluaiskin varmistua että miltä se näyttää kun pituutta on kuitenkin lähemmäs 190cm.

oikein hyvältä.
kaikki vaatteet näyttää pitkillä hyvältä / paremmalta.

Myös sellaiset joissa on liian lyhyet hihat? Se on ainakin mulla pitkänä se isoin ongelma.
Mitä täällä horistaan? Yrittäkää nyt kolmen metrin jaloilla ja kahden metrin sylivälillä näyttää joltain muulta kuin hongankolistajalta. Eiköhän kaikki vaatteet ole parhaimmillaan S ja M -koossa.
Ruskea nahkatakki haussa. Pitäisi olla slimmi, kauluksena käy cafe racer-mandariini tai tavallinen. Rintataskut haluaisin kuitenkin olevan molemmilla puolin ja hihoissa vetoketjut ja ei lammasta. Tällaisia olisi lähinnä mieleisinä valikoitunut, mitä mieltä näistä ja tuleeko jotain muuta vastaavaa mieleen? Schottit ja Vansonit on nähty ja koettu, Falcon/Aero/Simmons Biltit ei vaan jostain syystä innosta. Onko kokemuksia Helston-merkistä vai onko liian "riding gearia", takki kun kuitenkin tulisi hengailuun. Hinta max n. 800 euroa.

Thedi Leathers 127922:
Kuva

Lewis Leathers Dominator 551:
Kuva
DLA kirjoitti:
joona kirjoitti:
Spoiler:
mbch kirjoitti:^ Näin on. DR2 on enemmän mieleen, koska mitä vähemmän yksityiskohtia, sen parempi. Kyseessä olis ensimmäinen nahkarotsi ja siksi haluaiskin varmistua että miltä se näyttää kun pituutta on kuitenkin lähemmäs 190cm.

oikein hyvältä.
kaikki vaatteet näyttää pitkillä hyvältä / paremmalta.

Toki näin myös kenkien suhteen - konda toimii esimerkkinä...

:DD
tökätääs tännekin David Himelin pari viestiä fedora loungelta, jos jotain sattuu kiinnostamaan: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/ ... 929/page-7

Spoiler:
Dave kirjoitti:Just back from Japan myself and I thought I might generate a little controversy on the Lounge for my semi annual post. For those who don't know I was a vintage dealer since 1992 and make leather jackets now as a hobby (haha). I thought I might very casually describe the paradigm of leather over 100 years just in a paragraph or two and describe my recent trip to Shinki. So...leather...lets say conservatively I have handled over 30 thousand vintage jackets at this point...I own around I'm guessing 3 thousand of them, but I boxed most of them and stored them so I have no clue at this point. What I can say is this as a concept. You can divide North American vintage jackets into roughly 3 periods that matter, pre 1930s, 1930s to the war and the post war boom: then comes the post 50s decline which I don't really worry so much about. I would describe it like this...late 19th century jackets were mostly hand made pre industrial jackets, early sewing machines, pre pattern making standards that were required by ww 2. They are the most interesting to designers because of their nativity and primitivity (i made up that word). Patterns were made on the fly, simple or overly complex, sewing was single needle or hand, the leathers were varied and the designs ranged from excessive to pure simplicity. Tanning at the time was a major industry in North America, given there was barely industry. European techniques brought by immigrants (from a cursive view a lot of german jews). Tanning at the time was a mix of veg. tanning and chrome tanning. I am not a materials scientist but there were hundreds of books published on tanning at the time, breaking down every detail of the process, early chrome tanning was incredibly toxic (google hexavaleant chromium) . You will find early jackets have a green undertone (vs. the blue grey undertone of later chrome tanned jackets) those ones are really early and very toxic haha. Veg is veg. Leather jackets (in my opinion) were a by product of the shoe industry.

Shoe leather at the time was mostly from the ass of a horse prized for its spiral collagen configuration leaving the front quarters leather as a by product. Of course you can read all about my meanderings on this topic at the vintage leather jackets blog from years ago. Every tanner was like a wine maker, their own recipes and every leather was tanned for a different feel and purpose or preference. But like all industries, each tannery could only make so many styles of leather, and so many finishes and each finish and feel had its own purpose. I could write an entire encyclopedia on that topic alone. I digress, the early period of jacket making (from brain tanned native jackets to chrome tanned home made and bench made jackets) transited to the 20s and 30s where industrial process and catalog stores widely expanded the offerings. Technologies like the button, snap, and zipper advanced and urbanization created huge opportunities for city based makers who started to compete with each other on design and production cost for purpose built jackets. A small (again mostly jewish run company) would make jackets for police, varsity, worker, motorcycle, sporting styles and would copy or compete with his neighbor, and eventually bid on and compete inter city or inter national as transportation networks developed. All leading to the standardization of designs and techniques up to WW2.

Lots of makers showed different skill levels, better or worse stitching, better or worse leather but a lot was based on the materials available. By the 1920s tanneries were quite sophisticated, large transnational operations (example Dominion Tanners in Canada). At this point many specialized in types of tanning, leather finishes for particular industries or innovations (glove leather, shoe leather, bridal leather, or suede as in the case of Menlo) Also they divided into Chrome and veg, some doing both.

By World War two pattern making and standard sizing were no longer optional with all the research money, leading into the golden era of factory produced jackets of the 40s and 50s.

Im bored so lets focus on leather now. Having handled a bazillion jackets some leathers hold up better then others, some patina better and some just feel better (opinion based). After a while you begin to see the products of various tanneries by region, process etc.. so for example west coast usa, east coast, canada...etc and you can get a feel for the tanners that produced the product. I personally have a preference for Shinki as do Real McCoys and Flathead because they most closely mimic the process of a 1930s shoe tanner like Menlo or Herman Oak, and the end product is very similar to some of the coolest looking best surviving vintage jackets I own. That being said we would need to break down a few details about tanneries.

Ok so first lets talk about leather feel or temper. Leather in the hand has a lot of characteristics based on a lot of inputs. Thickness is one..that is determined by the type of animal and the depth of the split (cutting the thickness down). Then there is the type of tanning...there are a million types but lets say for purpose generally there is brain and smoke, allum, formaldehyde tanning , and various plastinations, chrome and veg. The last two are the most common. Chrome tanning is fast, like 24 hours fast, skin cleaned and prepped goes into a drum with water, other stuff and chrome salts...boom, wet blue leather. Stretchy and strong, (some say toxic) has a bit of a more plastic feel. Veg tan is more like a wine making process. Can go from a couple of days (like Victoria leather used by BR and BK and most of the price driven jacket makers) to a year (shinki). More time more money. So what is the difference there. Well I think the quick tanning process is abetted by the availability of chemically reduced and extracted tannin. BASF and others have brought the miracle of tanning liquors to a concentrate that helps make process faster, and more cost effective. The result is not that bad quite frankly, I use Victoria leather and a couple of other tanneries from Italy (I find it odd all these jacket makers make up the names of their leathers instead of just saying the tannery) Also I visit my tanneries on a regular basis to monitor production, technique and my shipments so that I can make sure the quality of my orders is to my standard. Of course I see all the other companies that buy at these tanneries and the owners freely offer up the information.

Note on the process of running a tannery. Small tanneries will sometimes customize to a point the leather. They (99%) specialize in what they make and how they tan it so that cannot usually be customized unless the tannery is developing a new product for its client list. They do not customize the tannage for one maker as that would not be cost effective. Also in order to do customization you would have to order at the minimum one drum load or roughly 2000-3000 sq feet which is roughly 100 jackets worth of leather in one colour. So typically a small jacket maker would be ordering stock. Second point would be the quality and feel of a leather finish would be influenced by so many factors, like availability of good hides properly salted and preserved. In the realm of HH this has become increasingly difficult. Chinese pressure to buy horse has reduced the availability and increased the cost. This impacts tanneries who have in a lot of cases turned to Canadian and South American HHs which are not as high quality as the Polish and euro hides. Why you say, well hot weather, ill treatment, branding, insect bites all impact the quality of HH. So unless the tannery has a special deal with a supplier they are usually buying a mix of skins, and a lot of quality issues. The Italians have mastered light correction for aniline finishes (transparent) and with pigment finishes (paint) it doesn't really matter that much. A lot of that grainy quality that shows up is reflective of corrections, milling or tumbling to hide damage and simultaneously bring up character, and in some cases hiding scarring. Regardless grain is nice, but creates difficulty for makers. If you want to make a wholesale order you can't have half grainy half smooth for a store for example. Ok so about the process, where you can customize easily is thickness below 1.3 mm and finish and grain. Milling (grain) is easy, thickness (.9 to 1.3) is based on split, and finish well as long as the hides are not scarred, its easy, but you need the cleanest in the top grain world for a transparent aniline finish.

Spoiler:
Dave kirjoitti:Regarding thickness, as you need an even one, getting past 1.3 in horsehide is very difficult because only select skins are from big enough horses to reach even thickness. Second, for jacket makers bigger skins are better btw.

As you can see we could go on for hours about skins, and one more note, a lot of the "feel" of leather also depends on what you "stuff" into it and the finish. If you put a lot of oil back into the tanned hide, or finish with a wax or a lot of coatings it will also change the feel and the dryness and the temperature of the leather.

So why Shinki and how Shinki. First thing to note, Shinki is maxed out for shoe customers and sells 100% of its shoe leather. Second note: It takes almost a year to make the leather. They pit tan it, with agitation tanks then they cure it...months go by....and after that they stake mill soften and finish it. This slow process along with the supply of very high quality raw wet green horseskins makes for a better "full grain" (please never again am I going to explain this) leather. I like the feel and temper of the final product and the mix of grain. Now Shinki can only supply a few companies, me included...they do not have the capacity of a company like Victoria with its huge drums and quick tan process which is why the leather is almost twice as expensive. Second, Shinki is selling small amounts through an agent of front quarter to Europe. These are not custom orders and are small runs. For the most part the thickest skins at Shinki (rare as I stated before) go to McCoys and Flathead.....JC and I take up the room on the other product...and whats leftover goes where-ever.
I meet with the owner of the tannery 4 times a year so I am pretty familiar with the process. Their bag business is another story and their are working with new kinds of finishes and customers in that department. Keep in mind the skins must be large for jacket makers leaving smaller pieces for the bag and shoe industry with all the Shell butt pieces taken up already. I love the shinki leather for its natural character, beautiful finishes and its temper...it is not the only great leather out there, but for HH in a hard market of small availability its my favorite. It is also twice the price of Italian HH which is freely available and which I use as well. I guess you would call the Italian HH my house red and the Shinki is my Brunello .

Ok that is enough for now in 6 months I can wax on about chrome tanned hides or stitching or some other related controversy. I look forward to peeking in to hear all the crazy responses, criticisms of my stream of consciousness, denials, scientific studies and the rest, I just got back from Japan and can't sleep so I thought I would take a little time to share a little drivel.
Eipä kai sille mitään tiettyä muottia ole. Toisille sopii, toisille ei.
Noi patchit muistuttaa liikaa Vaccarellon viritelmistä, minkä vuoksi kys. rotsi ei jaksa sytyttää ollenkaan.
Lue lisää alueelta Pukeutuminen tai katso uusimmat viestit.